Admitted Students FAQs

Regular Decision

What are the next steps?

Join the Class of 2028 by submitting your deposit and accepting your offer of admission by May 1. You’ll receive more information about housing, your residential college assignment, orientation and other matriculation information over the summer.

Is the enrollment deposit refundable?

The enrollment deposit is due May 1 and is non-refundable.

Why was I not offered a merit scholarship? Can I appeal this decision?

Every applicant is considered for merit scholarships, and there is no appeal for this decision. If you are concerned about the financial commitment of attending Rice, we encourage you to contact the Office of Financial Aid. You may schedule a one-on-one appointment with a Financial Aid counselor.

Are you hosting events for admitted students?

We will be offering on-campus as well as virtual sessions to experience Rice in April. Sign up for these events in your Rice Admission Student Portal.

Can I visit campus?

We are currently offering student-led and self-guided tours. More information can be found here. We will also be offering on-campus admitted student programming in April.

Are the admission and financial aid offices open for business?

Yes, our offices are open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT. We would be happy to assist you in person or via email and phone.

Will I need to submit mid-year and final transcripts?

Yes, your school counselor is required to upload your mid-year and final high school transcripts once they are available. Details on supported transcript submission options can be found here.

What happens if my school is delayed in sending my mid-year and final transcripts?

Your school counselor may contact our office at if there are any challenges with submitting your mid-year and final transcripts.

Can I receive credit for my AP and IB Exams?

Rice awards credit for scores of 4 or 5 on most AP Exams and scores of 6 or 7 on IB higher level exams. Rice also grants credit for some international examinations. Please visit the Office of the Registrar's Exam Credit webpage for more information. If you wish to transfer college credit completed during high school, your coursework must meet several criteria, as explained on the Registrar's Transfer Credit webpage.

When is orientation?

Orientation Week (O-Week) will be held in mid-August. The O-Week experience will include your residential college move-in, campus traditions, and course registration. Click here to learn more.

Is it possible to change my major or academic division?

If admitted to Rice, you may change your major or academic division, though this should be given thoughtful consideration. Enrolled students have until the spring semester of their sophomore year to declare a major. About 20 percent of our students have more than one major, many of them in separate academic schools. The exceptions to the rule are music and architecture - you must be admitted to the music or architecture schools either as an entering student or as a current Rice student who applies and is accepted for the major. Admission to the bachelor of music program requires that you complete a minimum of one full year of study in the Shepherd School of Music before considering a transfer to another academic division within the university. Contact the Office of Academic Advising to learn more about changing your field of study.





M-F 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT